Pages

Tuesday 3 September 2013

WOYWW 222

Welcome to my rather erratic blog on my craft work and if you have wandered in via a search and are wondering what on earth WOYWW is all about, wander over to Julia's Stamping Ground where you will see lots of crafters exposing their intimate work places in order to allow others to snoop at their worktops on a Wednesday. Well, actually most of us are probably putting up pictures of our worktops on Tuesday and commenting on them, in order to get them posted by Wednesday.
So on my desktop today you can see some of my experiments into playing with alcohol inks. Actually the one on the front right looks much better in the picture than it does in 'real life'. It is a bit wishy washy, but the light on it here gives it much more depth and contrast. Not sure what I do about that, I 've just been and looked at it again to convince myself it is the same piece.


In the next few days OH and I are going away for about five weeks on our narrowboat, (burglars don't even think about it. Just because OH and I are out of the house, it doesn't mean the house is unoccupied all that time. People seem to do a lot of coming and going in our home when we are away, I have had to make up all the beds before we go. And lots are popping in as well to keep an eye on the post, including a veritable rottweiler of a  Mr Twitchy Curtains across the road.) so I am trying to work out how much craft stuff I need to take to make a big inroad into the Christmas card task. This involves deciding what I really need, what I would like to take and how to avoid having World War three with OH about how much I am taking and how I can possible need all that stuff. In this picture you can see the beginnings of the pile. But there are still big decisions about what else to include.

At craft club this year the theme is Christmas trees, so I have to make at least 14 technically challenging cards for them. Then I need 120 assorted ones with at least some religious content so I need stamps and die cutter and colours of some sort and the list could go on and on.
And, of course, they will all have to created between opening locks and steering the boat if OH has had enough, walking miles to the shops and having to put everything away from the rather limited space each time we want a meal.
You can see here the beginnings of a couple of tree cards, not sure how they will continue, but that seems to be how all my cards happen.









And just in case people don't know what a narrowboat is like, this is a picture of ours. She's called Bendithion, which is Blessings in Welsh.

We aim to take her down through Birmingham, onto the River Severn, up the Avon back through Birmingham and up the Trent and Mersey Canal to Middlewich. Then along the Wardle canal, the shortest on the UK system, all of 51 yards long, and back on the Shropshire Union to its moorings. So if anyone lives anywhere near those canals and sees us, come and say 'Hi'.
Sorry Julia, not a short post, but it might be the last for several weeks, so Happy WOYWW everyone.
Chris

16 comments:

glitterandglue said...

Tee hee. I bet anything that the pile grows before Thursday!! The alcohol ink things look great - well done. Have a fabulous time away - we'll be part of the guard and security at the house!!
God bless.
Margaret #52

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Wow, what a beautiful narrow boat! We walked over the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct at Llangollen recently when we were up on our hols at Chirk...amazing place! We live about a mile from the Kennet and Avon canal, so a lot of time is spent walking along looking at the boats. When my boys were small they loved nothing better than to 'help' with the locks :-)
Hugs, LLJ 44 xx

Spyder said...

I love the narrow boat! what a lovely retreat...or just, what A Lovely treat! Very tidy craft space too! Have a great week, Happy WOYWW
(((Lyn)) #46ish!

kay said...

Of course you need to take everything :-) love the narrow boat and enjoy you holiday
Happy WOYWW
Kay #41

Karen said...

Really beautiful colours on your workdesk today!! You'll have to sneak things in when DH is not looking and say "Oh it's been there all the time!". The red flowers on your easel card are just gorgeous! Thanks for letting me know the details which I've added to my ever growing "Wish List" ♥ Karen ♥ 68 x

john-w said...

Great workdesk this week! Love the colours. Hope you manage to take all you need to be really creative whilst on holiday. Have a great time, love and blessings aboard 'blessings' :-) John-W #51

Julia Dunnit said...

wow, it will be an epic adventure! And frankly, a bit of a miracle if you get 120+ cards made, even if you have to clear up for meals! Good luck with the tree designs...you seem to start the way I do. encouraging for me, anyway!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

The narrowboat may be narrow, but it sure is long. I find it so difficult to decide what to bring when crafting on the go. At least you have some idea of what you want to work on so that helps. I'm not sure if your trip sounds fun or like a lot of work, maybe like a lot of work that will also be lots of fun!

Unknown said...

hope you get it all worked and know how much stuff to take. But have fun doing it. Thanks for letting me look at everything. Roberta 17

ddazzled71 said...

It sounds like you are about to embark on a wonderful few weeks and thanks so much for posting a pic of your Narrowboat as I had no clue. I am sure you will figure out just what crafty goodies need to go with you and I look forward to hearing about some of your adventures upon your return. Have a great time! Danie #25

sandysewin said...

Wow, sounds like a great trip. And how ambitious to plan on getting so much done at the same time. So many folks are thinking Christmas cards already.

Happy Woyww,

Sandy #13

ike said...

Ooooh !! Have a fabulous time :-) I used to have a narrowboat too and have done that route twice - gorgeous !! :-)

HAPPY WOYWW 222

IKE in Greece #67 xxxxx

Judys Lace Creations said...

120 cards!!! WHOA!! I feel tired just thinking about such a mammoth effort!
Neat desk!!Thanks for nice comment on my blog.

Judy #20

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You'll be missed, even though I'll be away from my computer, too.

I wondered what those boats were called. I've seen them on the old Morse and current Lewis TV shows (Masterpiece Mystery). Happy WOYWW on Friday from #2.

Neet said...

What a fabulous holiday! Am full of envy.
I usually take prestamped images and some watercolouor crayons and just sit and colour.
Hugs and Thanks for visiting me earlier - Neet xx

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

ah what a real cutie your "Blessing" of a boat - or long boat is - always wanted to be on one and on last trip dd make one trip on the Llangollen one which was fun over the big viaduct up so high..

..actually now come think of it was in 2009, and well trying to decide and want to to leave I really struggle with that as going through same thing shortly not yet thanks for popping over and love your inky shares - things do fade, so you can always make them much darker than you think. I keep forgetting that too, sometimes go in again and have another go! nothing ventured nothing gained, my mum used to say or was it my dad?! love Shaz in oz.x